I’ve been looking for an alternative everyday bag for my Matt & Nat backpack. To be honest, I’m a little disappointed in the quality of the backpack. It’s made from vegan leather, and is about two years old, and the wear a tear is really starting to show. If it was a leather bag I think the patina would just make it even more beautiful. At least that’s how I feel with my other leather bags. But as it’s vegan leather, which is essentially plastic, the material has started to crack here and there. It’s still not too visible, but if you look closely, it looks kind of cheap. And it wasn’t. And again, it’s only two years old. In bag years that’s not much in my opinion. I want my bags to last.
So, I decided I wasn’t going to try and find another vegan leather bag. Instead I wanted one made from leather that could last ages. And hopefully only grow more beautiful with time.
I’ve kept my eyes out on several brands, and several types of eco-friendlier leather, but eventually settled on this one from Paper thinks™ I found via The Acey (again, such a great webshop). Mainly because I really like the style, size and look of the leather. And the fact that it’s made from recycled leather turned out to have quite a few pros in my book.
The pros of recycled leather
- The recycled leather is created by combining the leather off cuts & trimmings that are otherwise sent to landfills and reduces need for new hides
- Recycled leather is similar to genuine leather in both appearance and texture
- Recycling leather is substantially lower in price when compared to genuine leather
- The recycled leather is easier to clean and more durable
- Paper thinks™ lamination technique reduces the need for chemical tanning processes
It will be interesting to see how long it’ll last compared to new leather bags made from genuine leather and how the wear and tear of everyday use will make it look. So far, I’m really happy with it. It’s big enough to fit my laptop, snacks, water bottle, wallet, lip balm and all my other ‘necessities’ without feeling too heavy.